Thursday, December 2, 2010

Good Morning, Lord by Sheila Walsh

Good Morning, Lord by Sheila Walsh is a daily devotional book.  I began working through the book hesitantly because I often find devotional books quite basic and shallow with little to chew on and challenge me.  Initially when I wrote this review, I had been through a few weeks of devotionals and was pleasantly surprised.  I found this book to be simple enough for a new believer, yet challenging for someone who has been a believer for a while as well.  If you've been a Christian for a while and are looking for a book that will open your eyes to new truths daily, this is not the book for you.  But, if you give this book just a few minutes a day and take the time to apply it to your life, it can be a great encouragement for your daily walk with Christ. 

That said, since I posted this review initially, I did run into a few devotionals which O felt oversimplified common questions that Christians have about suffering and pain.  These are questions which I have been wrestling through personally lately and I felt that the book saying "everything happens for a reason" and "everything is part of God's ultimate plan" was a slap in the face.  I found that my questions went deeper than the book was willing to dig and it was enough to make me put this book on the shelf.

Initially I gave this book 4 stars out of 5, but after running into a few disappointing devotionals, I would now give it 1 or 2 stars.  Would I recommend this book?  Well...there are probably other devotional books I would recommend first.

I received this book, free, from the Thomas Nelson "Booksneeze" blogger book review program and am under no obligation to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment